Smart Plugs can turn any ordinary appliance into a smart one. Simply plug your “dumb” device–like a coffee maker, toaster, or blender—into the smart plug and turn it on and off right from your smartphone but which is the best one? We put the 12 smart plugs available on Amazon to the test and compared speed, size, connectivity, features, and of course price.
- Centralite – Zigbee
- Samsung – This Zigbee is great for building your mesh network
- Peanut – Zigbee, requires additional steps to work with SmartThings or Hubitat
- Sylvania – blocks top plug when plugged into the bottom, Zigbee
- Dome – doesn’t block plugs, Z-Wave plus, Monitors Energy, worked on all hubs
- Aeotec – doesn’t block plugs, Z-Wave Plus, Monitors Energy, worked on all hubs
- Fibaro – Z-Wave Plus, Monitors Energy and includes USB charging port
- Wemo Mini – Doesn’t block plugs, Wi-Fi, Wemo App
- Amazon – Doesn’t block plugs, connects directly via Alexa app and was fastest performing WiFi hub we tested
- TP-Link – Blocks both plugs in either outlet, uses Wi-Fi, and does monitor energy, there is also a rectangle version available as well as a power strip
- Teckin – doesn’t block plugs, communicates via WiFi using Smart Life App, cheapest option but very noticeable delay
- Aukey – doesn’t block plugs communicates via Wi-Fi using Smart Life app and was the worst-performing plug when measuring response time.
Check out this video from Smart Home Tech Decisions a partner with RETI featuring RETI team member Brandon Doyle as they provide a breakdown of the best smart plugs on the market.
Video & Bonus Content is for RETI Members Only
Forgot Your Password?